President Donald Trump has formally moved to withdraw the US from the World Health Organization (WHO). The president had made his intentions clear in late May, accusing the WHO of being under China's control in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic. Despite calls from the EU and others, he said he would pull out of the UN agency and redirect funds elsewhere. He has now notified the UN and Congress of his intentions, although the process could take at least a year according to the BBC report. Stéphane Dujarric, the spokesman for the UN secretary-general, confirmed the US had notified it of its withdrawal, effective as of 6 July 2021. A senior US administration official told CBS News that Washington had detailed the reforms that it wanted the WHO to make and engaged with it dir
The Association of Hospital and Administrative Pharmacists of Nigeria (AHAPN) has expressed dismay over the Federal Government’s delay in registering it as an independent trade union, urging expedited action to enable it to represent the interests of pharmacists in Nigeria effectively. AHAPN in a press statement jointly issued by Dr Kingsley Chiedu Amibor, its National Chairman, and Dr Hafiz Ola Akande, the National Secretary, expressed bemoaned the Federal Government’s delay in registering it as trade union despite applying severally for registration over ten years ago. The union said, “About 2011, we were granted provisional registration as a trade union by the Federal Ministry of Labour and Productivity, but for some inexplicable reasons, our registration was withdrawn. All effort
The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday that it was monitoring a case of bubonic plague in China after being notified by the authorities in Beijing. A herdsman in China’s northern Inner Mongolia region was confirmed at the weekend to have the bubonic plague. According to Associated Press, two other cases were confirmed in Khovd province in neighbouring Mongolia last week involving brothers who had eaten marmot meat, China’s state news agency Xinhua said. “Bubonic plague has been with us and is always with us, for centuries,” WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris told reporters at a virtual briefing. “We are looking at the case numbers in China. It’s being well managed. “At the moment, we are not considering it high-risk, but we’re watching it, monitoring it carefully.”
The World Health Organization (WHO) said on Tuesday it would study fresh evidence on airborne transmission of the COVID-19, after an international group of scientists, concluded it could spread far beyond two metres. The World Health Organisation said it would put out a new scientific brief within days, rounding up the knowledge about how the virus can be transmitted and ensuring its guidance stays in line with the evidence. The two-metre (yard) physical distancing guideline has been a major factor in the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic, which has killed more than 538,000 people and infected over 11.6 million since the outbreak emerged in China last December. However, the new coronavirus can spread through the air far beyond two metres, a group of 239 international scientists said M...